Focus On Fit And Healthy
Guest Contributor: Jane Kilkenny, Fitness Energy
Getting older has its challenges! But the good news is you can stay in control of your health and fitness and how you manage those challenges, regardless of your age.
Our bodies do change as the years go by. We get a few more aches and pains, we can get a bit forgetful, and we don’t have as much energy as we used to. But don’t think about taking it easy, quite the contrary, it’s time to move more!
A few common ageing issues include:
- Losing your muscles and finding some extra fat or just saggy skin where your muscles used to be.
- Losing your balance.
- Increased risk of falling over.
- Losing your confidence.
- Feeling a bit lost or maybe even a little depressed.
How does exercise help?
- Builds and maintains your muscles
- Improves your balance and co-ordination
- Maintains joint strength and stability
- Boosts your confidence and vitality
- Puts a spring in your step thanks to those endorphins that are produced when we exercise.
The most important thing is to find an activity that you enjoy. There are so many activities that you can do at home or out in the community, the opportunities are endless. So regardless of your living situation, find something fun.
The most important step is the very first one – deciding that you are in control and can help yourself to be fitter and stronger. It’s ok if you need help and it’s ok to feel a little unsure, there is help and support available.